So as i mentioned last week, we had our medium question milestone last Friday. I said that I wanted to try and have 2 more questions finished by the deadline and I’m happy to announce that I actually managed to get them done. I ended up completing the AI behaviours and the Ogre log tool. Neither of them were especially difficult, although the AI question took quite a bit of time.
I spent about 2 days working solely on the AI. It was my first time implementing a class structure into Ogre, so because of that it took some getting used to. I needed to figure out a proper way of utilizing scene nodes and the scene manager from outside the declaration class. I had an AIManager class which essentially managed all the different behaviours within the AIBehaviours class. All I had to do was create a single object of AIManager and use it to create multiple objects of AIBehaviours. It was quite simple and organized until I came to the flocking behaviour. For whatever reason I was having difficulty with this part because I needed to have a bunch of different nodes communicate with each other in order to have them flock together. But doing this with Ogre’s scene nodes proved much more of a challenge than I expected. I needed to pass in multiple nodes at once but nothing I tried was working correctly so I eventually had to resort to messy hard-coded ugliness for the sake of saving time. It wasn’t pretty, but it worked.
As for the Ogre Log tool, it didn’t take me too much time to complete. Thankfully I was able to get help from others and we worked on it together. I wasn’t familiar with .net implementation so trying to complete this question entirely on my own would have probably taken significantly longer and caused a lot of headaches.
With these two question handed in I should be at 45 XP, which means I only need to complete 1 hard question to get the full 60 XP. Even though I can already write the final exam now, I am definitely still going to attempt a hard question. I have my eye on the sound one, but I haven’t began fully looking into what it requires. Thankfully we have about 3 weeks until the final deadline, so there is quite a bit of breathing room. For now though, I am going to shift my efforts entirely towards GDW. I am currently in the process of rigging the main character model, which I find takes a godly amount of time and patience. Once that is done though I can finally start animating as well. Hopefully by next week I’ll have something to show for it.